Wednesday, September 28, 2005

 

Sean Avery: Open Mouth, Insert Hairy Foot

It looks like Los Angeles Kings forward/pest/good-at-nothing-in-particular warm body Sean Avery is still the mouthy Neanderthal Trogoldyte he always was.


Los Angeles Kings forward Sean Avery - never one to shy away from opinion - had plenty of strong words regarding Phoenix Coyotes defenceman Denis Gauthier and French Canadian hockey players.

When asked about the blueliner's hit on Kings teammate Jeremy Roenick in a preseason game Sunday night, Avery did not hold back digging into Gauthier and Quebec-born NHLers.

"I think it was a clean hit," he explained on Tuesday. "I think it was typical of most French guys in our league with a visor on, running around and playing tough and not back anything up."

"I'd think if a guy like Brett Hull was coming up the middle, somebody probably wouldn't have stepped up and hit him, but like I said, a typical move from a guy wearing a visor that certainly doesn't like to get scratched at all."

Of course, Sean didn't actually mean what he said...oh no...we're just all wrong about the guy.

"I certainly did not want to offend anyone with my comments earlier today," the statement (he released) read. "I am an emotional guy who sometimes says things that shouldn't be said. I apologize if I offended anyone."
You are sorry simply because you look stupid, not because you really feel guilty. How nice of you to see this in a 'release', rather than actually face the music yourself.

Unfortunately, his kind of attitude still persists amongst the old-school neanderthal hockey types. There seems to be this stereotype of the 'French' player as a visor-wearing pretty-boy types like Alexandre Daigle or Pierre Turgeon. I guess Sean Avery has never seen a Quebec Beer League game where the number of fights is greater than the number of goals.

...and unfortunately, the bigger problem is how many NHLers see wearing a visor as a mark of cowardice. Ok, Sean, do you wear a cup to cover your (probably small) family jewels? How about shoulder pads? Hmm?? So, how is protecting your eyes cowardly? Aren't they one of the most important parts of your body? Would you rather have eyesight or a popped out shoulder?

Anyway, I shouldn't waste any more time with this dweeb. I just hope him and Roenick don't claw each others eyes out fighting for the dressing room mirrow.

Check that. I'd like to see that happen :)

Comments:
Anybody who tries to get Ron Francis to fight is an idiot.

That, which occurred during the March 15th, 2003 Carolina Hurricanes vs. the Los Angeles Kings game, is what I will always remember Avery for...
 
Jes -- great post. I'm also baffled by the "visors are for sissies", or for that matter "helmets are for sissies" attitude.
 
1. I didn't call all Quebecer's separatists, but there is a large french-speaking contingent of Canadiens fans that would fit that profile. I used to know a buddy who was an Anglo in Montreal and he felt the divide for sure...

and I was just thinking that Avery has been worshipping at the Church of Cherry a bit too much. He says the exact same things regarding French players, visors, Europeans, etc..

2. I wouldn't expect a coward like Avery to really pick on anyone other than a Lady Byng candidate with nary a mean bone in his body. Still, Ronnie could probably kick his ass if he was so inspired. I'm surprised someone hasn't gone "Bertuzzi" on Avery yet.
 
1. I didn't call all Quebecer's separatists, but there is a large french-speaking contingent of Canadiens fans that would fit that profile. I used to know a buddy who was an Anglo in Montreal and he felt the divide for sure...


Jes, I can back you up on that one.. I'm a french canadian whose spent alot of time in or just outside the province, and you are generally correct.

They definately are not all seperatists, but at times, half of them can be. Thankfully, we are in one of those cycles where they are a little weaker.

In my mind, Albertans have a much better argument for seperatism than the Quebecers do.

I knew Avery was a big mouth, but when his new teammate Roenick called him one, I knew this guy must be something special. Bang on on your comments about jocks, shoulderpads ect.. wasn't wearing a helmet something for cowards too a while back?

Avery knows his brand of hockey is on the way out.. he'll blame everyone but himself for that.
 
Oh, I'll definitely make my share of jokes about separtists and Quebecers, but I'm only half-serious as usual ;) As for Guillaume, I believe (and see) there is a large contingent of the french-speaking fans who want their Habs to be 'pure' with Francophone players. It's an element that will never go away in that city.

I don't find anything 'tough' or 'rugged' about players who choose not to go visorless. Foolish, risky...those are the kinds of words that come to mind. Are football players now wussies because they wear full helmets and masks? It wasn't that long ago where a facemask was not commonplace.


Even the goons of junior hockey wear visors, and it certainly doesn't diminish their game.

As for Alberta, once their oil runs out, they won't be talking so tough :). British Columbians also have separtist thoughts, but only a few on the lunatic fringe really believe in it. We're just more pissy because the Easterners tend to monopolize things in the media, politics, etc...Quebec gets a LOT of special treatment that nobody else gets and they tend to whine for even more.

OK, enough politics...
 
The other day a literary discussion broke out on Tom Benjamin's weblog and now politics with Jes!

This is awesome!
 
ease up on Avery.... his girlfriend, Rachel Hunter, broke up with him over the summer... even her agent sent a press release confirming that they aren't a couple anymore!

I don't want to meet the man who has to cope with THAT!
 
2. I wouldn't expect a coward like Avery to really pick on anyone other than a Lady Byng candidate with nary a mean bone in his body. Still, Ronnie could probably kick his ass if he was so inspired. I'm surprised someone hasn't gone "Bertuzzi" on Avery yet.

Seriously to that "Bertuzzi" comment.

It's funny you said what you did about Ron, because in the report I did for that game on a website, I said if Ronnie was a fighting man, he *could* kick Avery's boney ass.

And even as a retired player, I think he could still do that if he wanted to... :D
 
Avery's not looking too good. He took a run at Sakic but wouldn't drop the gloves against May or Laperriere (a French-Canadian who was pissed off about Avery's comments). Who's not backing up his play, Sean?
 
I like the way Avery play. He was the same in the OHL. He has some skill. 3 goals this year. So everybody quite picking on this Kis so much.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?