Wednesday, February 07, 2007

 

Canucks/Hawks Post-Game Thoughts


Who's your daddy, eh?


I had the good fortune of scoring a free ticket to tonight's Hawks/Canucks tilt at GM Place as my boss took me to see the game, just because I am the awesomest.

The game marked the triumphant return of Patrick Lalime to the NHL, and La Lemon pitched a rather easy 34-save shutout as the Canucks made more mental mistakes than a drunken fratboy taking his Chemistry 101 final.

Since I got free tickets, I won't complain about the 'quality' of the game. For those who did actually pay for tickets, the game could best be described in a word rhyming with 'pulpit'

Both teams were playing the back end of back-to-back games, and were more conservative than Stephen Harper's cabinet. There was little passion, hitting, or real buzz in the building.
---
Now, going to the game with your boss means that there are a different set of standards to be followed. You can't act nearly the same way you can around your buddies or your significant other. I have a good relationship with my boss, but still...

  • 1. Do not use (too much) profanity, and definitely resist the urge to tell Jan Bulis where he can stick it.

  • 2. Do not use the game as an excuse to test your alcahol tolerance. I am not prone to spend 8 bucks on a NyQuil cup of watery beer, but many others seem to enjoy that sort of thing. Leave the drinking for another night, lest you want your boss to see you for the real assclown you are.

  • 3. DO take the opportunity to discuss office gossip. You'll hardly get a better chance.


  • Other thoughts from the game...

  • "The Brat" - I saw Martin Havlat in-person for the first time, and he's bigger and lankier than I expected. He's one of those players that makes you nervous when he's on the ice, but even Pavel Bure backchecked harder than Havlat did tonight.

  • Secret Agent Peter Bondra - Another first viewing, as I got a chance to see the Slovak legend with my own eyes. He's still got the great shot (Luongo robbed him of a goal), but he's lost 2-3 speeds from the old motor.

  • The Blackhawks truly have one of the best uniforms in all of professional sports. This cannot be argued.

  • Chicago Blackhawks fans: endangered, but not extinct. I saw at least a half-dozen of these scarred folks in the stands, and I was very tempted to express my deepest sympathies for their continued suffering. Then again, as a Canucks fan, I've suffered just as much.

  • Jan Bulis = Alexei Kovalev West. Perhaps he learned a thing or two back in Montreal, but it's been awhile since a Canucks forward could stickhandle so much, yet produce so little.

  • Karl Stewart got in a fight with Kevin Bieksa (as pictured above) and the fiesty Canuck easily took care of that little runt. Stewart was faring so badly that it looked like he threw a desparation SLAP right near the end of the fight. You go, girl!

  • Canucks are down 1-0 late in the 3rd with a Power Play...so why is Willie Mitchell on the Power Play? Was Murray Baron unavailable for tonight's game?

  • I was in the SIEMENS Club seats, with all of the other rich bastards. You can actually order food from your seat and have it delivered.

    Now, I know standing in line for overpriced food is as much fun as listening to Earl Sleek rave about his Jazzercise class, but how lazy do you have to be to need to have your popcorn and beer delivered to your seat? Waiting in line for 5 minutes isn't gonna kill ya! I hope they mark up that crap 400%.

  • Not heard at tonight's game: "Cotton Eyed Joe", "Thank God I'm a Country Boy", and that "WOOHOO" song. My ears are thankful.

  • Back to Mr. Metrosexual, Martin Havlat, his dive in the 3rd period was absolutely splendid. It's nice to know we can always count on the Czechs to bring some artistic merit to each and every hockey game.
  • Labels: , , , ,


    Comments:
    Canucks are down 1-0 late in the 3rd with a Power Play...so why is Willie Mitchell on the Power Play? Was Murray Baron unavailable for tonight's game?

    I believe it's because Kevin Bieksa was in the penalty box during that late 3rd period powerplay. (From the fighting major)
     
    Glad you're enjoying Jan Bulis mahn! :D
     
    We do have more than two D-men. Send out Salo! Ohlund! Hell, doesn`t Edler have more points???

    Bieksa is the goat. Nice tip-in buddy, on your own net! At least he made up for it a little bit by waking up the game with a fight. :p
     
    Canucks fans haven't suffered the half of what hawks fans have gone through. I wish the Hawks could be gifted a few additional points each year because of the beauty of their jersey, that way we might actually be in the race for the playoffs. Finally, does a Hawk's fan blog exist? Are the Hawks the one team in the league without a fan blog?
     
    Finally, does a Hawk's fan blog exist? Are the Hawks the one team in the league without a fan blog?

    I believe so. On the Blue Jackets site "Army of the Ohio", the listing under Chicago reads "vacant."
     
    Now, I know standing in line for overpriced food is as much fun as listening to Earl Sleek rave about his Jazzercise class...

    Dammit, Jes. I thought you were interested in that story!
     
    Great game re-cap, Jes. Top notch work, and funny as hell!
     
    Post a Comment

    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?